On October 1 and 2, 2018, the All-Ukrainian NGO «Democracy Development Center» together with the National Council of Women of Ukraine with the support from the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the State TV and Radio Committee is conducting in Kyiv a series of events aimed to inform various groups about the modern methods of reducing of trafficking in persons and of demand for sexual exploitation.
Topics to be addressed in these events:
- Trafficking in persons and prostitution as violation of human rights and obstacle on the way to achieving gender equality.
- Connections between trafficking in persons and prostitution.
- Legislative approaches to prostitution and trafficking in persons; world trends and experience of select countries.
- Consequences of legalization of prostitution regarding violence against women, trafficking in women and organized crime.
- Nordic model as the concept recommended by the European Parliament for combating prostitution and trafficking in persons: theory and practice.
- Effective models of support, assistance and rehabilitation of persons affected by prostitution and trafficking in persons, and correctional programs for clients of women in prostitution.
- Megan Walker, Executive Director, London Abused Women's Centre, Canada;
- Taina Bien-Aimé, executive director of Coalition Against Trafficking in Women (CATW), USA;
- Grégoire Théry, co-founder and executive director, Coalition for Abolition of Prostitution (CAP), France;
- Helen McDonald, Nordic Model Now!, Great Britain.
The events are part of the implementation of Ukraine’s international obligations in the sphere of combating trafficking in persons and exploitation of prostitution and combating all forms of exploitation of women and aim to facilitate development of corresponding recommendations and preparing for the international campaign «16 days against gender-based violence».
For the context, in the international ratings Ukraine is still considered the country of origin, transit and destination for trafficking in persons, both adults and children, including for the purposes of sexual exploitation. In the recent years, in Ukraine the number of criminal cases related to these crimes has grown. The number of women in prostitution, according to the pre-war estimated of the HIV servicing organizations, was around 83 thousand. How many women and children are currently engaged in prostitution and for survival sex, remains unknown. Ukraine still has the reputation of a popular country for sex tourism, which is damaging its international image.
Dates and locations of the events:
October 1, 2018
10:00 - 13:30 – Seminar for central bodies of executive power "Modern Methods of Cutting Down Demand for Sexual Exploitation of Persons"
Address: Office of Parliamentary Commissioner for Human Rights, Instytutska 21/8, office 403
15:00 - 17:00 – Press Club "What will help Ukraine to get rid of the status of the sex tourism destination?"
Address: Press center of the State TV and Radio Committee, Khreshchatyk 26.
October 2, 2018
10:00 – 14:00 – Session of the Public Council under the Parliamentary Interfaction Caucus 'Equal Opportunities
Address: Building of the Verkhovna Rada Committees, session hall 620, Sadova 3-a.
16:-00 - 18:00 – «Basics about gender Equality and Non-Discrimination», joint event of the Institute of Journalism and the Sociology Department, Shevchenko National University and All-Ukrainian NGO "Democracy Development Center"
Address: Institute of Journalism, Melnykova 36/1, floor 3, audience 32.
October 3, 2018
10:00 – 12:00 – Megan meeting with the Canadian Embassy
12:30 – 13:00 – All international guests meeting with the Parliamentary High Commissioner for Human Rights
Coordinators: Maria Dmytriyeva, Anna Ambartsumova