The campaign was initiated in 1991 by the Center for Women's Global Leadership.
The campaign start and end dates were not picked randomly. We have run a symbolic line between violence against women and human rights, emphasizing that such violence is a violation of human rights. Sixteen-day period has covered other important dates:
- November 25th – International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women.
- November 29th – International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People.
- December 1st – World AIDS Day.
- December 2nd – International Day Against Slavery.
- December 3rd – International Day of People with Disabilities.
- December 5th – International Volunteer’s Day.
- December 6th – commemoration of the memory of students shot in Montreal.
- December 9th – International Anti-Corruption Day.
- December 10th – International Human Rights Day.
(2008 – the 60th anniversary of the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights).